Reformed Dutch Church organized; stone buildings dating 1717, 1773 Precinct of New Paltz was created consisting of the New Paltz Patent, theLouis DuBois Patent [Nescotak], the Guilford Patent, the Thomas GarlandPatent at Kettelborough and Ireland Corners, and the Hugo Freer Patent[LeFevre, 107-108] Town of New Paltz incorporated March 31, 1785 Post office in Budd’s Tavern on N. Front St. (cor. N. Chestnut St.) Committee established to plan building a road from New Paltz Landingwestward Map of state road from Springtown to Libertyville & Guilford (Canaan Rd.)filed in Ulster County Clerk’s office First post office established, believed to have been located at Budd Hotel, N.
Chestnut & N. Front streets.
Butterville (Oleynuit) settled; community of members of Society of Friendsdevelop; Abram Steen (married a Freer) New Paltz Village consisted of 20 dwellings, two stores, two hotels, two cakeand beer shops, one blacksmith shop, one schoolhouse and one church[LeFevre] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey New Paltz Turnpike map filed in Ulster County Clerk’s Office Present Reformed Dutch Church built; additions 1869 (John A. Wood,architect) Methodist church constructed corner Main & Church streets; ministry beganc. 1786, services held in homes of Hendrik Deyo and Henry DuBois; movedto face Church Street in 1870; raised and tower added and redecorated in1884; moved to new church in 1929 Town of Lloyd created from eastern portion of New Paltz NYS CensusIn 1845 the population of New Paltz was 2818 ranking it sixth among thesixteen towns in Ulster County; urban villages, such as Saugerties (6529persons) and Kingston (6508), posted the highest figures followed by the ruraltowns of Wawarsing (4922), which contained Ellenville, a port on theDelaware & Hudson Canal, Shawangunk (4011), including a manufacturingcenter at Wallkill, and Marbletown (3143) New Paltz ranked 13th of 16 towns with only 20 non-naturalized citizens;Saugerties and Kingston had between fifteen and twenty times the numberwith 412 and 345 aliens, respectively; these numbers indicate the rapidlygrowing diversity of Ulster County’s river towns as well as the enduringinsularity of New Paltz Conversely, New Paltz retained a significant number of persons of color.
With 207 African Americans recorded, New Paltz rivaled Marbletown (300)for the greatest proportion in the county. Persons of color represented 6.3% ofthe population in New Paltz population and 7.3 percent in Marbletown.
Kingston enumerated 263 African Americans, but this number representedonly 4% of the total population. By this time non-naturalized citizens out-numbered persons of color there. Elsewhere in the county, there were threetowns with numbers over 100, but ten towns counted less than 100 AfricanAmericans with 59 being the median number for all sixteen towns in thecounty. The significant number of African Americans in New Paltz (and Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Marbletown) reaffirms the cultural stasis there and the large numbers ofpeople who had been enslaved there in earlier years. Statewide UlsterCounty’s African American population ranked eighth at 1587, whereas itstotal population ranked fourteenth (48,907). The state counted an average of752 persons of color per town, although the median number was 221 persons,more or less.
New Paltz also recorded the highest number of paupers among the eight UlsterCounty towns that claimed to have them. With 125 enumerated, it exceededKingston with 81; the median number for towns in the county was threepaupers. (The coincidence of large numbers for persons of color and pauperswas not explored but merits further inquiry.) Surviving records document thatNew Paltz had established a system of relief for the poor early in its history, asdid many of the original Dutch towns. It may be that the newer towns in thecounty that did not declare a single pauper, had not developed the need orimpetus to institute a practice of public support.
Agricultural statistics provide another window on the character of the culturallandscape of New Paltz in 1845. The town ranked fifth in the county for wooland flannel cloth manufactured in the home. In both cases production in NewPaltz exceeded the mean by notable amounts. With a number of factoriesoperating in Ulster County, the fact that such quantities of home manufacturescontinued to exist in New Paltz indicates the continued preservation oftraditional structure of and practices in the community. That the town rankedfirst in the production of both flax and linen further signifies that few changeshad occurred in the local rural economy. New Paltz households produced4283 _ yards of linen cloth in 1845, more than double the average townproduction in the county. Likewise, New Paltz had nearly three times asmany acres planted in flax than the average (58 _ acres v. mean of 21 _ acres)and produced over three times more flax (12,831 lbs.). In fact, New Paltzgrew 23% of Ulster County’s total flax production.
New Paltz also ranked first among Ulster County towns in wheat productionin 1845. By this time the county could no longer be considered a major breadbasket in the state. Western New York had long ago supplanted the HudsonValley as a wheat source. The statistics bear this out graphically. WhileUlster County registered 39,323 bushels of wheat, the average production ofNew York State’s 59 counties was 226,979 bushels. In the face of blights,exhausted soil, economic competition from western counties and states NewPaltz farmers planted 625 _ acres and harvested 6567 _ bushels of wheat,much more than the county averages of 317 acres and 2,458 bushels. UlsterCounty was a major dairy producer in the state. The 1,556,457 pounds ofbutter it registered in 1845 was comfortably ahead of the state average of1,347,487 pounds.
Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey In other key areas of farm production, New Paltz ranked close to the top. Itwas second only to the neighboring Town of Shawangunk in dairy productionwith farmers milking 1,595 cows and producing 173,614 pounds of butter.
These figures were substantially less than those recorded in Shawangunk,2,968 cows milked and 266,645 pounds of butter, but measurably above thecounty mean of 1,163 cows milked and 97,279 pounds. Butter has replacedwheat as the principal market staple in the Hudson Valley and New Paltzfarmers had altered their Dutch barns and field production to accommodatethe 6-10 cows they milked. Stalls were added to barns and their roofs wereraised or extended to store increased amounts of hay coming from expandingmeadows. Increasing amounts of Indian corn was planted for animal feed,which was not just limited to the milch cows. The cows produced morepounds of manure than milk, which was used to enrich the dwindling mineralcontent of the soil.
The same status applied to sheep and hogs where New Paltz ranked second tothe Town of Wawarsing. There were 6469 sheep counted in New Paltzcompared with 9,152 in Wawarsing and an average of 2,908 county-wide.
New Paltz produced 11,127 pounds of wool, Wawarsing produced 20,510pounds and the county averaged 5,881 pounds per town in 1845. Thesefigures attest to the continuing importance of home manufactures; however,woolen mills in Saugerties and nearby Rifton would have provided newmarkets for local sheep-raisers. The 4,384 hogs that resided in the town werenearly double the county average of 2,664; Wawarsing raised nearly thatmany more (6,764). Pork was preserved by salt or smoke and had been animportant food source on the farm for two centuries. Surplus would havebeen sent to market, but at little more than 1 _ pounds per person in the town,it is unlikely that much left the homestead.
Industry was still absent in the town. Four grist and 11 saw mills wereenumerated in 1845, basic local rural services. There were two fulling millsand four carding machines that were probably incorporated into one of thegrist and/or saw mill sites. These were crucial mechanical aids for the homemanufacture of woolen cloth. There were no manufacturing facilities in NewPaltz outside of the home. The two tanneries were small and perpetuated thelocal production of leather for the community. A tannery was operating inNew Paltz in the early 18th century. In addition to using leather in theirclothing, the Huguenots made their own shoes. Finally, in 1845 New Paltzwas supporting two distilleries, one on Main Street in the village. Liquor wasalso an important staple of rural life.
There were four churches in the town: Methodist ($1500), 2 Dutch Reformed(10,500 – Kingston RDC $8000), Friends Meeting House ($500) There was one academy ($1100); the only other one in County was inKingston ($4000) Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Village of New Paltz had a population of about 250Post office in Charles B. Hasbrouck’s store on Main St., east of present librarySteen Hotel on Main St.
Elias Coe’s blacksmith shop across from school house N. Front St.
Part of New Paltz ceded to formation of Town of Gardiner Huguenot Bank organized 2/10/1853 w/ capital of $125,000. Edmund Eltinge,President.
The soil is generally a fine quality of sandy loam. Hay is one of the rinicpalproducts and exports. New Paltz (p.v.) upon Wallkill, near the center,contains the New Paltz Academy, 2 churches and 45 dwellings. Butterville,Ohioville and Springtown are hamlets… There are 3 churches in town; Ref.
Prot. D., M.E. and Friends. [French’s Gazetteer of New York (1860), 665.] New Paltz Rural Cemetery incorporated 2/18/1861; Samuel D.B. Stokes, chm;23 acres; Civil War Memorial there Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors Report of Examination of thePoorhouse conclude buildings for Keeper & white poor in good condition,except the roof, and building for the “colored” & the one used for the insanein very poor condition “We have been informed that a brick yard will be opened in this village soon,near the Wallkill on S. Water St.” [NPI 4/12/1861] Village Hall to be built of brick of “home manufacture.” [NPI 9/26/1862] New Paltz Times reported that:- The insane poor are treated miserably- The building is a half story high, a larger building needs to be erected.
- A house for the contagious also needs to be built-a few months ago a victimof small pox was left to die in a shanty in the woods- a plea issued to the county Board of Supervisors to examine the Poorhouse Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey New building erected at Poorhouse for the insane poor [Superintendent’sAnnual Report] Village of New Paltz had a population of about 250 “Village Hall built (N. Chestnut St.) by New Paltz Literary Societyimmediately became the community’s cultural and social center, with its mostcolorful and active period lasting from 1863 to 1929. Lyceum lecture courses,public and private dances, vaudeville acts, operettas, plays, church andcommunity benefits and music recitals were all held in the spaciousauditorium on the upper level. New Paltz’s first silent movies were shown inthis building; “talkies” followed. The Village Hall became known as theOpera House in the early 1900s, although no records exist verifying theperformance of even one opera.
“Meanwhile the ground-level basement of the building served variously as thefirst home of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, as a temporary classroom whenthe Normal School burned in 1906, later as an ice cream parlor, then as abarbershop, and finally as a restaurant. St. Joseph’s Church bought thebuilding in 1929 and for the next thirty-eight years the parishioners used thespace as a recreational center. After being sold to a young entrepreneur in1967, the upper level once again reverted to a theater. Classic films, art andforeign films, as well as live theater have been presented on a fairly consistentbasis since that time.
“Easton Van Wagenen was postmaster in his drug store. The building hadbeen erected 2 or 3 years before. The village contained about 250 people andit was not growing much, although occasionally a house was put up. Thefarms were flourishing with the demands of the war.
“The cashier [of the Huguenot Bank, Edmund Eltinge] took a very warminterest in the prospective building of the [rail]road and when the projectmaterialized a few years later gave the right of way over his farm, a distanceof nearly a mile. He also bought a tract of land south of the village, laid it outin building lots, with streets 60 feet wide. He had sold quite a number of lotswhen the panic of 1873 swept over the country and put an end to buildingoperations in New Paltz and elsewhere.” [From Ralph LeFevre’s articles“Fifty Years Ago” NPI 8/22,29/1913] William Dolson of Libertyville purchased 106 acres of woodland belonging toJosiah Hasbrouck near Cold Spring Corners (Plutarch) John L. Rosencrans of this village has purchased a lot in the “EltingeVineland” south of the village [NPT 10/7/1869] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey “Bricks were manufactured in New Paltz as early as the 1830s, possiblyearlier. According to early sources, the Reformed Church on Huguenot Street,built in 1839, was constructed of local brick. It is certain that Easton VanWagenen established a brick yard in 1869 on the west side of North ChestnutStreet between Academy Street and Front Street.
“A.M. Low operated a brickyard south of the village on Plains Road from the1880s to 1906. In 1906 a group of local businessmen bought out Mr. Low,purchasing his property, as well as Andries LeFevre’s adjoining farm. Theyorganized the Lowe Brick Company which operated successfully until 1928.
Among the buildings still standing and known to have been constructed oflocal brick are the Academy Theatre [Village Hall] in 1863, the Van VlackPharmacy building in the 1880s and “Old Main” on the SUNY campus in1909.” [Martin 215] Sale of Land. – Mr. Edmund Eltinge has sold to John F. Stokes seven acres ofland lying south of our village on the Eltinge Purchase for $1,100. Mr. Stokesexpects soon to build on his lot. Mr. Eltinge is laying out streets which will bedesignated by names commemorating interesting points in the early history ofNew Paltz. “TriCor,” &c. Mr. E. is offering lots at from $2 to $3 per foot offront, which everyone will pronounce a very reasonable rate. [NPI 6/2/1870] New Paltz Savings Bank incorporated 5/1871; Theodore Haight, pres.
John C. Schaffer built new hotel on south side of Main St. at Wurts Ave.
126 paupers at Poorhouse at an annual cost of $38.32 per pauper[Superintendent’s Report] Advertisement. Village Lots For Sale at New Paltz. Within five minutes walkof the Railroad Depot. Lots on Mohonk Avenue, Lots on Chestnut Street,Lots on Elting Avenue, Lots on Tricor Avenue, 12 acres of land east ofModena Road, 3 acres with tenement house and barn on it, 3 acres adjoiningpremises of P. LeFevre, 7 acres adjoining premises of Elting T. Deyo. TheAvenues are 60 feet wide. Fine views of valley and mountain, unsurpassed.
Terms accommodating. Edmund Eltinge. [NPI, February 20, 1872] Panic of 1873 put an end to building operations; such as Elting Ave.
development (see 1863 above) Prospects Heights. Summer Boarding. The residence of the subscriber atProspects Heights near the village of New Paltz is now ready for reception of Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey boarders. The house is about 40 feet square and 3 stories in height containingrooms for about twenty boarders. A tower on the summit commands a veryextensive view of the Catskill and Shawangunk Mountains and of the WallkillRiver and the beautiful country through which it flows. The rooms are large,airy and elegantly furnished. The depot at New Paltz is only a half miledistant. Several trains run daily to New York and Kingston; daily line ofstages to Poughkeepsie.
New Paltz is provided with good churches, banks, telegraph office, etc. Thereare good roads in all directions. Lake Mohonk is only 5 miles distant, andstages run there every day.
Among the attractions in this vicinity are the celebrated Rosendale Bridge andthe Mineral Spring at High Falls. Apply to or address Elting T. Deyo, NewPaltz, N.Y. [NPI 1873; in Martin 219-220] Poorhouse property is not used – no shade; full description of horribleconditions at the Poorhouse – the stench, no ventilation, no bathing facilities;questions how the Board of Supervisors can officially sanction of thesearrangements [NPI July 10, 1873] From NYS census by way of Sylvester’s Histori of Ulster County (1881) 373 dwelling houses valued at $447,180value of farms $1,365,481; farm buildings $221,3004212 acres plowed Village of New Paltz: 500 inhabitants3 churches: RD, Methodist, AME ZionNP Academy2 NewspapersNational bank and Savings bank3 hotelsa number of stores and mechanic shops of various kindsa district school General stores: Josiah J. Hasbrouck, Oscar C.Hasbrouck, Solomon DeyoDrug stores: James Barney, George E. JohnsonHardware stores: John Elting, M. HotchkinShoe tore: George EadyHarness shop: Zacharias Bruyn, LeFevre DuBoisBlacksmith: George Freer, Dennis Creighton, John Drake Ohioville2 wagon shops, blacksmith shop, school house, post office, 20 houses Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Cold Spring Corners [Plutarch]Methodist church, store, blacksmith shop, school house, 6 dwellings; BlackCreek 13 children are to be taken to Susquehanna Valley Home in accordance withthe law passed by legislature last winter. The law states that all childrenbetween ages 3-14 shall be taken from the County House and placed inasylums or private facilities. [NPT May 2, 1876] Population: Town 1,958, Village 493.
“The surface of the town is generally a hilly upland, and the soil a fine qualityof sandy loam, fertile and productive. Large quantities of hay are raised in thetown, and it ranks high as a fruit producing section.
“The Shawangunk Mountains extend along the west border. Paltz Point, themost prominent feature of this range in the town, attains an elevation oftwelve hundred feet above tide-water. From it can be obtained a fine view ofthe surrounding country, nature and art vying each with the other indiversifying the broad panorama spread out before the eye.
“The Wallkill flows in a northwesterly course through the centre of town. It isbordered by broad, fertile flats, which render rich returns to the industrioushusbandman.
“At an altitude of twelve hundred feet above the Hudson, in a deep rockygorge of the mountains, lies the sweetest of highland lakes, Lake Mohonk,half a mile in length, deep, clear, and surrounded by headlong precipices. Thewhole mountain is a tumble of rocks, piled in the most fantastic shapes,heavily wooded, and a natural flower garden. Here the arbutus, the azalea,and the laurel in succession clothe the rocky slopes with early summer beauty.
There is an endless variety in the wondrous rock scenery, and a whole seasonwould hardly suffice to explore this wild and wonderful labyrinth. But fromthe two summits, Sky-Top and Eagle’s Cliff, in addition, an outlook is gainednot inferior to any in the whole Catskill region, in some respects unrivaled inAmerica. In the valleys of the Rondout and the Wallkill below, beautiful asparadise, lie the great grazing and dairy farms of the city. Eastward can be Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey traced the course of the Hudson and the line of the Green Mountains, withtheir commanding summits. The whole western horizon is crowded by piled-up walls of azure, stretching from the Alleghanies in the southwest to the coneof Overlook in the north. [Nathaniel Bartlett Sylvester, “New Paltz,” Historyof Ulster County, New York (1880), II,3.] Elected officials [supervisor, clerk, J.P.] from Huguenot families with veryfew exceptions A.M. Low operated a brickyard south of the village on Plains Road from the1880s to 1906. In 1906 a group of local businessmen bought out Mr. Low,purchasing his property, as well as Andries LeFevre’s adjoining farm. Theyorganized the Lowe Brick Company which operated successfully until 1928.
Among the buildings still standing and known to have been constructed oflocal brick are the Academy Theatre [Village Hall] in 1863, the Van VlackPharmacy building in the 1880s and “Old Main” on the SUNY campus in1909. [Martin, 215] Catholic Sunday School Services first held at Ackerman’s Hotel. Associatedwith Rosendale parish. (Earliest services held at Ireland Corners in 1840s,priest from Poughkeepsie.) “”A Western Boom at New Paltz. From present appearances it looks as ifNew Paltz is to have a regular Western boom. The cannery and fruit dryingfactory is an assured thing. This will probably employ 300 hands, aconsiderable portion of the year. The creamery project is likewise a certainty.
The modified proposition submitted by Mr. Decker, together with the spirit ofperseverance shown by Mr. George DuBois, President of the creameryassociation, render the building of a creamery in a few weeks and absolutecertainty. The promise of stock already made for the Hosiery Co. render thelocation of that enterprise at New Paltz extremely hopeful.
Mr. Patrick Mulville and Smeed Miller are putting up buildings forresidences. Mr. Philip Deyo will put up a building adjoining the post office.
Mr. Delamater of High Falls was in our village on Monday, looking for a lotfor a bakery. Mr. Emil Miller will start a furniture store in the Wm.
Ackerman hotel. The carnival has resulted in several hundred dollars for theNew Paltz Academy, and we are assured that the Semi-Centennial of thatInstitution, this year, will result in a new building to be put up along side theold one.
“Now we have a word of advice to our people. We all want to see our villagegrow. A dozen years ago enterprise was frightened away by the ridiculousprices asked for building lots. Now let us not see a repetition of that folly.
We think the Paltz people have learned wisdom by experience. A number oflots a few weeks ago were offered gratuitously, for any sort of reputable Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey manufacturing purpose. Let us see a continuation of the same spirit and wemay be assured that our village will prosper.” [NPI 3/2/1883] “The New Paltz Fruit Preserving and Canning Company managed by Alpheusand John Riker from New York City, opened in the summer of 1883 on NorthChestnut Street. Specializing in canning fruits and vegetables as well asdrying fruit, the company did not prosper. Due to two unusually poorgrowing seasons, it was forced to close at the end of the 1884 season. TheA.P. LeFevre Coal and Lumber Yard bought the original canning factorybuilding in 1893.
“The New Paltz Creamery also began operating in 1883. It prospered fromthe beginning with John Decker in charge of the first year’s operations. Thecreamery sold milk purchased from local dairymen to villagers as well as tomarkets in New York City. It processed butter, pot cheese, cream and skimmilk with innovative machinery that replaced the old-fashioned hand-poweredchurns. By 1887 the Creamery was receiving 2000 quarts of milk daily forwhich it paid 1 _ cents a quart. In 1914 machinery for pasteurization wasinstalled. The growth of the New Paltz Creamery business led to an increaseddemand for ice. Increased ice production similarly created a need for icestorage buildings, a boon to local carpenters. The creamery operated forforty-eight years, finally closing in 1931 due to changing economicconditions.” [Martin 215] “Until this period general farming had been the rule but according to the NewPaltz Independent of 1883 that was beginning to change. “There has been ageneral feeling that fruit raising would pay better than general farming andalmost every farmer has gone into the fruit business more or less extensively.” “At that time numerous small orchards covered the southern part of the villagein an area known as the Vineland. In addition orchards lines the roads leadingfrom the village in all directions. Although peaches and grapes were the mainfruit crops at the time, currants, strawberries, raspberries, pears and plumswere also widely grown… In the mid-1880s two fruit cars left the New Paltzstation of the WVRR each day during the season. In 1886 the amount of fruitshipped from New Paltz amounted to 800 tons. As 1900 approached, fruitfarming became less diversified as apple production moved to the forefront.”[Martin 220-221] New Paltz Academy building was destroyed by fire and rebuilt as NormalSchool Ann Oliver (colored) is erecting a house on the lot purchased of John C.
Brodhead. This is the tenth house since Mr. Broadhead has offered these lotsto the market. Eight of these houses are new, and two were removed fromtheir former sites to their present location. [NPI 10/9/1885] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey New Paltz State Normal School opened.
John C. Brodhead has now only about 3 lots left unsold on Church andChestnut Streets. The sale of lots at reasonable prices has done much topromote the prosperity of the village. [NPI 4/23/1886] Advertisement. The property in New Paltz formerly belonging to PeterBarnhart will be sold at public auction on the 15th day of July 1886. This is avery valuable real estate. It is situated in the center of the village of NewPaltz. It will be sold in lots, a number of which are situated on the main streetand in the business center of the place, thus affording a rare chance to anypersons desiring to engage in business enterprises of any kind in this growingvillage. There are also some of the lots that would make beautiful places forprivate residences.
The history of any village where a Normal School has been established hasbeen that of continued and rapid growth. Cortland, Fredonia and other placesincreasing largely in wealth and population since the Normal schools wereestablished there. Any person who desires a lot in the business center of NewPaltz – any person who desires a place upon which to build a residence, in themost desirable locality will be interested in learning that this valuable estatehas been put in market. [NPI 6/23/1886] Sale of Barnhart Property in This Village. The sale of the Barnhart propertyin this village on Thursday of last week, attracted quite a crowd, mostly ofvillage people, as the farmers are too busy at this season to come out, unlessthey have business. Mr. Cooper, the referee, acted as auctioneer. Theproperty had been divided into 12 lots, the first comprising the house and astrip of land in the rear, just taking in the well on Main street. Lots 2 and 3front on Main street, the latter extending about 30 feet on Church street. Lots4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 front on Church street. Lots 9, 10, 11 and 12 front on Chestnutstreet. The following parties were the purchasers at the prices stated: The barn was sold to Dr. S. W. Gerow, and by him sold to Oscar Zimmerman.
The sale was the most extensive that has occurred in the business part of ourvillage in a number of years and is a fair test of what may be considered thevalue of building lots in this village. It is probable that buildings will beerected in the course of a year on several of the lots. [NPI 7/23/1886] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Our village has been settled a little over 200 years. At the end of its firstcentury and a quarter of existence the place had just about a many dwellingsas have been erected during the present year, including all those for thebuilding of which operations have been commenced – about 20 in all. [NPI8/13/1886] Auction sale of lots in New Paltz – Mr. John C. Brodhead will sell at auctionon the grounds, in the village of New Paltz, at 1 o’clock, on Nov. 20th, lots onBruyn avenue, Chestnut street, Church street, Huguenot st., Spring street,Prospect street and Hill avenue. Alos lots of 5 acres, 10 acres, and two lots of36 acres on Highland Turnpike. These lots are suitable for all kinds of fruit,and all having desirable building places on them. The above sale willcomprise about 150 lots in the village of New Paltz, all well located, and onlya short distance from the Normal School, public school, churches, andW.V.R.R. depot… On one of the lots on Huguenot street is the old stonehouse known as the Elting homestead, which rents for $90 a year – There willalso be offered for sale the mountain lot known as the Rutger lot, containing469 acres, and which takes in about one half of Sam’s Point and is one of thefinest lots on the mountain for a summer hotel being 3 _ miles from the PineBush depot, on the Erie Railroad, and a good wagon road all the way to thefoot of the mountain… [NPI 11/5/1886, 11/26/1886] Jesse Steen, Jr. receives contract to built first Catholic church in village.
New Paltz is growing more rapidly today than any other inland village in thecounty or state… Our excellent schools is the main spring of prosperity…People are moving into the village and propose to make this their futureabiding place. [NPT 3/30/1887] Carpenters are putting new siding on the “white store building” latelypurchased by Mrs. S.A. LeFevre, which will soon be changed into a pleasantplace of residence. [NPI 5/13/1887] The demand for houses in this village continues as great as ever, although somany have been built during the past year. A gentleman from the other sideof the mountains was in our place last week looking for a house which he wasunable to get. – A.D. Relyea’s new houses are engaged before they arecompleted. [N. Front] There are plenty of good building lots now for sale,and many have been sold during the past year, on which the purchasers havenot yet had the opportunity to build. Next year building operations willdoubtless be quite as brisk as they have been this past season. [NPI12/17/1887] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Within a short time past the editor of the Independent has visited Kingston,Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, and passed through Marlborough, Rosendale,Highland and other villages in the vicinity. In none of those places was thereas much evidence of life and animation as at New Paltz. In none of them wasthere as much new building to be seen in going through the main streets as isto be observed in New Paltz. And in no other place did so large a proportionof the buildings appear to have been erected in the past few years. – We mustobserve too that the buildings lately erected and those now in progress in thisplace are to a great extent fine appearing and tasteful. – It has been freelypredicted that the boom must soon come to an end, because New Paltz has nofactories, but somehow the determination to put up new houses does not seemto grow less. It is partly because New Paltz is such a delightful place ofresidences and partly because taxes are going to be so light here after thisyear, when the last of the town bonds are paid, and partly because of thegrowth of the patronage of the mountain houses and partly because of theincreased number in the fruit business, and partly because of such newenterprises as the brickyard and creamery, but of course, the principal cause ofthe prosperity of the palce is the Normal School, and when the new building iserected we may expect a continued steady growth of the place. [NPI6/22/1888] “Rural Avenue.” [Plains Road] On this thoroughfare which leads from ourvillage are many pleasant places, with scenery pleasing to the eye, all the wayto Ireland Corners. First Maple Lawn, the home of the C. Wurts family, thenthe brickyard of A.M. Low, who employs from fifteen to twenty men andboys during the season; then comes “Sunnyside,” the home of Abm. D. Craig,-- which is for sale – is a pleasant place for boarders; the Rural Cemetery isfull of interest, and next to that adjoins the land of Moses and Josiah Sprague;next the “Locust Retreat House,” of which our time-honored citizen EdmundEltinge, Esq., is proprietor of, claims our attention. This is a very handsomelocation, and at the present time several boarders are enjoying themselves …[NPT 7/24/1889] R.B. Heaton has arranged to become a resident of New Paltz soon, in order toavail himself of school advantages for his family. He is to occupy a newhouse, opposite the residence of J.J. Hasbrouck [on North Chestnut Street].
His fruit farm here will remain in charge of Alex. Saxton. Mrs. Caroline VanOsdall is also among the Clintondalers resident in New Paltz for schooladvantages. [NPI 11/1/1899] A Nicely Finished House. One of the best finished houses, outside and inside,in our village is one that Jese Steen, Jr. recently erected for Mrs. DaytonRelyea [on 12 North Chestnut St.]. In the basement a heater has been placedand the pipes are so arranged as to warm all of the rooms. On the first floor Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey are four large rooms with folding doors between the dining and sitting roomsand the second floor is divided into five rooms, including the bath room.
There is also a bedroom in the attic. The side walls are handsomely papered,and the walls overhead hard finished. The doors, as well as the woodworkinside, is of hardwood and all shows first-class workmanship. Charles Smithhad charge of the painting. Reuben Heaton and family of Clintondale willoccupy the building. [NPT 12/18/1889] Slate seems to be superceding tin as the most popular material for roofing newbuildings lately erected in our village. [NPI 5/23/1890] Mr. Griffith has laid down a walk of fine four-foot flag along the street infront of his premises. Mrs. Dayton Relyea will also have a similar walk alongher premises adjoining [12 N. Chestnut St.] [NPI 5/30/1890] Streets on Hasbrouck lands south of Main Street laid out for some 2 years notyet opened. A plan is on foot to open these streets in a different way fromheretofore contemplated.
New street [Innis] between premises of Elsie Hasbrouck and George E.
Johnston has been placed in fine condition.
The Commissioner of Lunacy ordered all 38 male insane men in the UlsterCounty Poorhouse to the Hudson River State Asylum. George Johnson,former superintendent of the Poorhouse, appointed keeper of state asylum.
[NPT Dec. 17 1890] Building boom “interrupted,” hope to see a fresh start before long [NPI2/21/1891] “In 1891 Abram C. Brodhead built a one-half mile race track on the flats westof the village near the juncture of Mountain Rest Road and Springtown Road.
Horse races were held on a regular basis throughout the summer. Largecrowds of 1,500 to 2,000 people gathered on Decoration Day and July 4thholidays… Bicycle races, foot races and even ball games were often includedon the schedule as part of the day’s entertainment. In 1904 betting wasdeclared illegal in the State of New York, at which time the race track wasclosed.” [Martin, 238] New Paltz Brick Co. (A.M. Low) manufactured 1 million bricks, 170,000sent to Kingston; 120,000 for the stack of Doremus Cement Mill, Whiteport;some shipped to Montgomery; 2 car loads to Walden; 75,000 ordered forcement mill in Binnewater Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Population of village 1100, half of the entire town; assessed value of villageproperty was about $200,00, whole town was assessed at $475,000.
Assessment increased $40,000 in past 4 years.
Bonds for the New Paltz Water Works mostly sold. $25,000 issue, 5%interest rate, $1,250 interest annually. Village pays $875 for use of hydrants,Normal School pays $350 for water turning the ventilating fan and all otherpurposes.
Peggy and Kate TenBroeck, two aged colored women have moved into asmall house [12 Church St.; not extant] next door of the Methodist Parsonage.
Peggy is 85 years old and taken care of by her friends in her old age andfeebleness. [NPI 4/7/1893] During the past year 13 new buildings put up [NPI 5/3/1893] Five new buildings in the course of erection [NPI 9/29/1893] When a new house is built shade trees should be set out without delay. Somepeople in New Paltz have neglected to do this. Dr. Eugene Bouten, firstprincipal of the Normal School, set out a large number of shade trees on NorthFront and Water streets that are making a fine growth. [NPI 6/22/1894] The demand for buildings in New Paltz continues lively. As the reputation ofthe Normal School becomes known in distant places, people continue to movehere that their children may enjoy its advantages. Dr. Capen has recentlyheard from different persons who desire to move here on account of theschool. [NPI 7/13/1894] Main Street is a beautiful sight in the evening. One of the best things Mr. VanSteenburgh did in New Paltz was the grading of the street. The electric lightsand the fine fronts of the stores add to the general effect. [NPI 10/5/1894] Although building is not very brisk in our village at present, there isconsiderable inquiry for building lots. Our fine mountain views are one of thechief attractions to strangers. There are none finer than those from the lot ofMr. C.M. Harcourt. [NPI 10/19/1894] Business Failure. The mill of A.V.N. Elting and Son was closed on Saturdayand a notice posted on the door stated that the firm had made a generalassignment to A.K. Hays of Walden. The firm did a very extensive business.
The coal and lumber yard was started by H.H. Elting and the flour and feedstore by his father Abm. V.N. Elting in partnership with Geo. F. Cooley about24 years ago. After a few years the firm of Elting & Cooley was dissolvedand the firm of A.V.N. Elting and Son organized which continued thebusiness in its different branches. The mill was built about a dozen years ago Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey and at once had a fine trade, besides being a help to the general businessinterests of the village by bringing farmers here to trade. A few years ago acold storage building was put up for fruit. This had lately been used forstorage of ice in which a large business has been carried on, particularly thepast year. We have no statement as yet of the liabilities or assets of the firm.
The preferred notes only amount to $230. We are told that the assignee willstart the mill again in a few days. [NPI 11/16/1894] Huguenot Patriotic, Monumental and Historical Society founded.
The future growth of our village will doubtless be principally south of Mainstreet, and three heaps of stone within a short distance of each other, on thelots of Daniel Gaffney and Jesse Steen, Jr., show that building operations inthis part of New Paltz will probably be active in the spring. The new streetleading eastward from South Chestnut was opened a short distance last fall,and should be extended through to the Modena road. This would open up alarge number of building lots owned by Mrs. Varick, C.M. Harcourt and EliasCoe. [NPI 2/8/1895] There are very few building lots on Huguenot, Church or N. Chestnut streetsthat have not been taken up for building purposes, while south of Main streetlots nearer the center of the village, with fine mountain views and gooddrainage find very slow sale. The reason is not difficult to find: flagstonesidewalks. [NPI 5/10/1895] Wm. J. Beardsley, the Poughkeepsie architect, has prepared the plans for agreat portion of the housing recently built in our village. His proposed plansfor the proposed additions to the normal school building met with generalapproval. [NPI 5/17/1895] New Paltz has been a thriving village for many years, but we do not recollectever before having seen so many houses in the process of erection as at thepresent time. [NPI 5/24/1895] The prices of building lots in different portions of our village, judging mainlyfrom recent sales, may be stated about as follows: On Church street, north ofNorth Front $6 per front foot; on Chestnut street north of North Front $8 perfront foot; on Huguenot street $10 per front foot; on Prospect street $7 perfront foot; on Chestnut street south of Main $7 per front foot; on Tricoravenue $2 per front foot. [NPI 5/24/1895] 13 new houses built this present season [NPI 12/27/1895] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Suit commenced by Jane Norton against the village to recover $2,000 foralleged injuries sustained from a fall on the sidewalks was settled for $250.
A four foot flagstone walk was ordered on the west side of N. Chestnut Stfrom N. Front St. and ending at Brodhead Ave.
The Duke of Marlborough passed through New Paltz on the way to LakeMohonk with a coaching party consisting of the Duke, Miss ConsueloVanderbilt, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt and Oliver Perry Belmont Horse and bicycle races at Brodhead Driving Park Referee Betts Decides the Elting Partition Suit. Hon. James A. Betts, asreferee in the partition case of Annie DuBois and Minnie Crowell vs. AbramV.N. Elting, Henry H. Elting and others has made his report, which was filedin the Office of the County Clerk on Friday. This case is a very importantone, as it involved about $30,000… The referee holds that the deed given by Abram V.N. Elting to his wife was agood and valid deed, and actually delivered, and transferred the title to thepremises to the surviving children and grandchildren of Almira Elting…Thereferee directs that the deed of Abram V.N. Elting be delivered to the Clerk ofUlster County and recorded, and that an actual pertition cannot be made of thepremises and that a sale thereof should be made. [NPI 2/7/1896; This propertyis located on the south side of Main Street and the north side of Center Streetextending from the brick Elting house to Manheim Blvd.] The Elting Sale. The sale of the A.V.N. Elting real estate on Saturdayattracted a large number of people. The weather was inclement and SurrogateBetts, the referee, acting as auctioneer, took his stand in the front room atSteen’s hotel, and the room was packed with people… The description of lots with the price and the names of the purchasers is asfollows: • The land comprising 27 _ acres lying between the New Paltz Cemetery and the Wallkill; bid in by the Kingston bank for $500.
• The road leading to same, R.B. Crowell, $50.
• The land lying on the east side of the Plains road, comprising 12 acres on which is a vineyard and apple orchard, Sol. DuBois, $625.
• The house and lot on Pencil Hill, near the A.M.E. Zion church, lately occupied by David Petty, Mrs. Fanny Agar, $425.
• House and lot by the side of the railroad track; the third one south of the steam mill, Tjerck DuBois, $330.
• The steam mill property, including the coal and lumber sheds, and ice • The brick family residence on Main street, Thomas J. Pine, $3,075.
Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey • [Lot nos. 4-44 in the “orchard” east of the brick residence]• The eastern part of the farm comprising 13 acres, was sold in a body and purchased by Jacob M. Hasbrouck for $675.
The lots last sold were Nos. 1, 2 and 3 comprising the strip in the south [sic–actually north] side of the turnpike on which the barn and reservoir is locatedand extending from O.C. Hasbrouck’s shed to Jas. P. Hayden’s lot. This wasbought by Jesse Elting. Price $925… [NPI 4/10/1896] Mr. Dimmick demolished old stone mill at Dashville, built about 80 years agoby Peter LeFevre and Ezekiel Elting Formal opening of the trolley line; two companies formed the line: NP & WVRR and PR & NE RR; connected NP to Poughkeepsie via the HR RR bridge;power house in Lloyd; stop in Ohioville; ends at Steen’s Hotel on Main St;theatre trips; fruit sent by rail to steamboats in Highland, to West Shore RR inHighland, to Poughkeepsie bridge from Lloyd “The trolley served a useful purpose for a third of a century. It was the onlytransportation for many citizens including shoppers, students traveling to theNormal School and commuters who worked in Poughkeepsie… Besides theusual trolley cars there was a freight car which brought meat provisions andstore supplies to New Paltz and took huge quantities of fruit, vegetables andproduce to the docks at Highland for transportation via the Hudson River toNew York City.” [ceased operation in 1925] From Peter Harp, “Horse andBuggy Days” [Martin, 214] “Abram E. Jansen is credited with being the first commercial grower in theUnited States to market McIntosh apples. In 1897, on what is now the CharlesWright Farm on Route 32 South, Mr. Jansen planted the then virtuallyunknown Canadian variety. One of those original trees stands today on theWright farm… In 1983 New Paltz ranks as one of the top five towns in UlsterCounty in fruit production, principally apples.” [Martin, 221] Sewer line for N. Front & Chestnut streets Smiley’s spent $100,000 to improve Mohonk Jean Hasbrouck house purchased by Huguenot Patriotic, Monumental andHistorical Society.
John H. Hasbrouck has purchased two lots of John C. Brodhead on Charles[Grove] Street. [NPI 3/9/1900] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey In the early 1900s the local Board of Trade published an attractive booklettitled, “New Paltz as a Summer Resort.” It listed eighteen boarding houses inthe area including Steen’s Hotel, Jackson House, Tamney House, LocustGrove Farm Cottage and Maple Shade. Such amenities as “good boating andfishing,” “milk, butter, vegetables and fruit from the farm,” and the inevitable“grand view of the mountains” were advertised. Rates per person ranged from$6.00 to $10.00 a week. [Martin, 220] Under Superintendent Sammons 2 new hay houses & a poultry coop havebeen built [at the poorhouse] and all the out buildings have been renovated.
All the labor has been done by the inmates, therefore no charge to the county.
[NPI Sept. 28, 1900] John H. Hasbrouck will build this spring two six-room cottages on Charles[Grove] street, and Henry Hasbrouck will build two dwellings of likecharacter on Prospect street. Of late there has been a demand for houses ofthis description that will rent from $8 to $10 a month, and these gentlemenwill build dwellings to meet the demand. [NPI 2/18/1901] The work on the dam on the Mill brook north of our village has made steadyprogress. The dam occupies apparently the exact site of the ancient dam,where stood a mill nearly 200 years ago. The pond will be several acres inextent. [NPI 11/1/1901] The dam is now completed and work has commenced at the foundation of theice house, on the Mill brook north of our village. It will be a very largebuilding, 76x34. John H. Hasbrouck has the contract. The dam will cover 3acres. In all 8 acres has been purchased. It is now so late in the fall thatprobably no building, besides the ice house will be started, this year. [NPI11/1/1901] John H. Relyea is putting up a building 24 x 40 and 2 stories in height atSpringtown as a dormitory for summer boarders increasing hisaccommodations from about 30 to 50 boarders.
Main building of State Normal School destroyed by fire during Easter recess Mr. D.C. Storr has bought of John C. Brodhead 68 acres of land northeast ofour village. We are told that it is Mr. Storr’s intention to erect on the tract anumber of cottages for summer boarders, for which this tract is admirablylocated. [NPI 1/19/1906] Mr. D.J. [sic] Storr has just given to the village a strip of land on the northside of the turnpike, extending from the Limekiln hill to the east bounds of thecorporation, a distance of about 1800 feet. The village trustees have accepted Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey the gift. The street was narrow at rhis point. Mr. Storr is an enterprising andpublic spirited man. [NPI 8/17/1906] There are now we believe no houses or rooms in this village for rent. Therehas been a great demand of late from people who want to move to our village.
Additional houses would no doubt rent rapidly at present, but after the NewYork Water Supply has finished its work the demand for houses will probablybe less than now. The increased cost of building is also a drawback in thematter of erecting new houses as people putting up houses at the increasedcost can not afford to rent them at such low rates as have prevailed in outvillage. [NPI 1/11/1907] New Business Enterprise. – D.C. Storr has rented of Abm. P. LeFevre aportion of the old coal shed near the steam mill for the manufacture ofconcrete blocks to be used in building houses. Amon Ross, who has hadexperience in this kind of work at Middletown, is to be in charge. The roomhas been sealed so as to be made warm enough for the purpose. The sand tobe used in making the blocks has been engaged of Josiah Sprague. Portlandcement and sand are the materials used. This work can be carried on in winterand is to commence as soon as the cement arrives.
A considerable portion of the blocks manufactured will be used by Mr. Storrhimself in the erection of cottages on his own land east of Prospect street.
Two or three of these cottages will be made of concrete blocks and the rest ofother material. They will be for rent to summer boarders or other people.
There will be six cottages in all. [NPI 1/18/1907] D.C. Storr has lately had men and teams at work grading Oak street, on thewest side of the cottages he is building. [NPI 2/7/1907] D.C. Storr’s machinery for the manufacture of concrete blocks has arrived andwork is now in progress at the shed near the old mill stream, with Amon Rossas manager. Four blocks are made by the machine in an hour. Each block is16 inches long, 8 inches wide and 8 inches thick. The mold turns out blocks,figured in front so that a house built of them will look like a house of roughdressed stone. Shelves are being put up on which to place the blocks whiledrying. After drying for some time in the room with a fire they are carried outinto the open shed. Four parts of coarse sand and one part of Portland cementare used in the mixture. Beside the machines for making the blocks Mr. Storrhas another for manufacturing water tables for the buildings. [NPI 2/22/1907] …[D.C. Storr’s] cottages are to be furnished with all modern improvementsand we understand will be rented at $20 a month. [NPI 3/1/1907] Amon Rosa has the job of digging the cellars and doing all the mason work onall six of Mr. Storr’s new cottages. The cellars for the fifth and sixth cottages Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey are now being dug north of the others and nearer the picnic woods. These lastare larger than the other six, are on the east side of the street and stretch northfrom Ed Welch’s residence to the picnic woods. The first two cottages onwhich Henry L. Hasbrouck and men are now at work will be of frame. Thesecond two will be of frame with stone piazzas. The remaining two will be ofconcrete blocks and will be larger than the others. A large number of men areat work. It is reported that all the cottages are spoken for. [NPI 3/15/1907] The concrete block factory of D.C. Storr is now running day and night. [NPI3/24/1907] D.C. Storr is digging the excavation for a reservoir on a hill just east ofOakwood Terrace to supply water needed by houses on that street. [NPI6/23/1907] The new street on which Mr. D.C. Storr’s new cottages are located isOakwood Terrace. This is a pretty name and very appropriate on account ofthe grove of oak trees at the end of the street. [NPI 11/1/1907] Charles Street in our village will hereafter be known as Grove Place. [NPI11/15/1907] D.C. Storr has the site for two more cottages staked out. All of his cottagesare built in the best manner and equipped with all modern improvements.
[NPI 12/13/1907] New state normal school building (Old Main) opened.
There are now eight houses in our village now in the course of construction orfor which operations have begun as follows: four for D.C. Storr, comprisingthe two stone cottages and two others for which cellars are being dug andfoundations laid; one for John H. Hasbrouck, one for Bruyn DuBois; one forLouis H. DuBois; one for Henry D.B. Freer. [NPI 1/24/1908] The frames of three new houses have been recently raised in the northeasternpart of our village – two on Grove Place and one on Oakwood Terrace. [NPI3/6/1908] On the south wing of the new normal school building the walls are completedto the full height of the second story, ready for the iron floor timbers. [NPI3/20/1908] There are fourteen houses, nearly all in the eastern part of our village, thathave been built this year, or for which building operations have beencommenced… [NPI 8/21/1908] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey About fifteen years ago our village had quite a building boom for severalyears at a time when in the country at large there was a general depression inbusiness. Now at another time when there is general dullness in business NewPaltz is having quite a large number of new buildings put up. The buildingboom at the first time spoken of was on account of the establishment of theNormal school here. The present boom is for several reasons: the new Normalschool building; the building of the New York aqueduct and the presence of alarge number of engineers; the growth of the summer boarding business; thebrick yard giving employment to a large number of hands; the transportationof excursions to and from Mohonk… [NPI 9/4/1908] In the eastern part of our village there are 40 houses that have been put upwithin a comparatively recent period or are in the course of erection. Anumber of these houses are intended for summer boarders. Others areoccupied by members of the Normal faculty. The presence of a large numberof the engineers of the N.Y. Water Supply in our village has also increaseddemand for houses. [NPI 11/27/1908] State highway completed between New Paltz and Rifton (Rt. 32 N.) St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church built 1909. Had met since 1900 in VillageHall. Land donated by D.C. Storr.
Concrete is taking the place of stone to a great extent. At the railroad station aconcrete platform has lately been constructed… At the Normal School aconcrete coping has been placed on the bank wall. [NPI 4/23/1909] D.C. Storr has had men at work of late on the grading of Manheim Boulevard.
This commands a magnificent view of the mountain. This boulevard will belined with fine shade trees. It will run north to the Mill Brook and then, weunderstand, will run directly through Wm. E. DuBois’ woods near the brook,thus obtaining an easy grade as well as shade and forest scenery. [NPI5/21/1909] The windmill lately erected by D.C. Storr, east of Oakwood Terrace is aconspicuous landmark and can be seen for a long distance. [NPI 7/28/1909] D.C Storr has built fourteen cottages in our village on Oakwood Terracewithin the past two or three years and they are very well built, with everymodern convenience. [NPI 1909] In 1909 George Millham opened a second cooperage [first operated by AsaYeaple in 1886] on Water Street. The George Millham and Sons firmcontinued to make barrels until approximately 1935 when farmers decidedthey were no longer practical…In recent years the Millham family has leased Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey the Water Street cooperage buildings to a firm which uses them as warehousesfor fruit and vegetable containers. [Martin 215-216] Mr. D.J. [sic] Storr has been digging a cellar for another house on Oak WoodTerrace and has the ground staked out for still another. These will make 16cottages built by Mr. Storr within the past few years. [NPI 3/18/1910] What Mr. Storr is Doing. – D.C. Storr is about to lay out an avenue where thegun range is located and parallel to Oakwood Terrace. It will be calledMillrock avenue. Harvey Gregory has bought two building lots at the gunrange. Mr. Storr is enlarging the tank at the windmill so as to have a greatersupply of water when it is needed. He is also making a concrete wall on thewest side of Oakwood Terrace. John Denzlinger and Frank Terwilliger aredoing the work. [NPI 6/27/1910] Charles Street, or Grove street as it has been sometimes called, has beenaccepted by the village trustees, the grade established and a sidewalk offlagstone ordered on the east side of the street. The name has been fixed asGrove street. [NPI 9/1/1911] Advertisment: Houses to Let. D.C. Storr. No. 5 Oakwood Terrace, $25 permonth; No. 7 Oakwood, $25 per month; No. 13 Oakwood Terrace, $20 permonth; No. 19 at $18 per month, and an apartment with 4 rooms a shortdistance beyond Sunset Inn for $10 per month. [NPI 3/8/1912] Upper Main Street. [The following talk by Mr. Luther Hasbrouck at therecent meeting of the Dutch Arms, is of general interest.] A few days ago I received a card from Dr. Bliss, asking me to say a few wordsabout upper Main street. At first I thought this was rather a strange thing totalk about, but after looking around I found there was a great deal that mightbe said. I was surprised and I think that you will be when I tell you that in thepast few years 59 beautiful homes and 2955 feet of side walk have been laid.
This does not include a mile of walk, built by Mr. Storr, alone, at his ownexpense; nor does it include the walk built by the state at the Normal Schoolgrounds. When I say upper Main street I mean the main street above Mr.
Thomas J. Pine’s and the streets leading to it in the corporation.
In addition to this we have a private water works, erected by Mr. Storr, at acost of $12,000, which supplies 32 houses with good and wholesome water.
Then there are our well kept lawns. Every resident of upper Main street, likethe residents of any other section of the town, takes a pride in the locationwhere he lives. We not only have a selfish pride, but a civic pride, knowingthat when we are helping ourselves, we are helping others.
Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Because upper Main street is the gateway to the town we feel it our duty toimprove and beautify our houses, our lawns and our walks, that we mayattract visitors to our community and give them the impression that this is agood place in which to locate. We know for a fact that people coming to thevillage have been so impressed that they have had a desire to locate here. Thisis made evident by the number of our town people, who have come here, whohave view from upper Main street the beauty of our western hills and havebuilt homes for themselves here. In a frequent remark of visitors, who havetraveled far and in many states, that they have seldom seen a more delightfulapproach to a village than upper Main street.
Have you not often noticed that things which we have been accustomed to seesince childhood are not appreciated by us until some stranger comes and callsour attention to them. Take for instance Messrs. Ackerman, Lindmark,Maclaury and Storr – men who have traveled far. Their coming to us andinvesting their money in beautiful homes where they can see Sam’s Point, SkyTop and the Catskills, shows their appreciation of our grand scenery. Inconclusion let me say that upper Main street asks the hearty cooperation andsupport of the entire community in its endeavor to make New Paltz anattractive place. [NPI 1/16/1914] D.C. Storr has opened a street fifty feet wide, on the north side of his grove,all the way from Prospect St. to Manheim avenue. [NPI 5/22/1914] Sale of Lots. – The sale of lots by D.C. Storr on Saturday proved verysuccessful. There were in all twenty-three lots sold. Nearly all the lots are onManheim avenue, extending north from Sunset Inn. The prices for lots offifty feet front ran from $75 to about $280. The following persons purchasedlots: Geo. B. Johnston (2), Jonas Crispell (2), Reuben Schwartz (5), CharlesTerwilliger, Alonzo Miller (2), D.C. Burns (2) Mrs. Hattie B. Fuller, IraOehler, Carl Reed, Dorothy Bemis, O.R. Knapp (3) S.C. Clark, HenryRichardson. [NPI 6/5/1914] D.C. Storr will commence with the erection of a large bungalow in OakwoodGrove just north of the stone house. This will be No. 29. [NPI 7/24/1914] The D.C. Storr Realty Company of New Paltz has been incorporated with thesecretary of state at Albany. The capital is $100,000. The directors are J.H.
Vanderlyn, Elting Harp and Eugene Van Wagenen.
In a large portion of the houses lately built in our village cobble stone fromthe old stone walls scattered over the farms are used to a considerable extentfor the outside walls. [NPI 10/9/1914] Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Mr. D.C. Storr who now has three wells equipped with pumping apparatus isready to supply a larger number of houses than before. [NPI 11/6/1914] Our village people thought that when the engineers were gone some of Mr.
Storr’s newly built houses would stand empty. Now that the engineers aregone it is found that the houses on Oakwood Terrace are still occupied. [NPI11/20/1914] G. Wurts DuBois’s building, 53 Main Street, “fitted up for post officepurposes.” [Martin 231] Advertisment. Desirable residences and building lots for sale on your ownterms. If you want a house with all modern improvements or a desirablebuilding lot address D.C. Storr, 27 Oakwood Terrace, New Paltz, N.Y. {NPI11/10/1916] A number of New York people are camping out for the summer on the E.H.
Eckert farm at Shivertown, formerly the Josiah J. Hasbrouck farm longoccupied by the Decker family. Residence occupied as a club house; 5,000apple trees; bungalows to be built.
Auction Sale of Lots. On June 9th, 10th and 11th, at 2 p.m. each day, D.C.
Storr will offer for sale a block of building lots bounded on the east by SouthOakwood Terrace, on the south and southwest by the State Road, directlyopposite the State Normal School. These lots are situated in the comingsection of New Paltz and without a doubt will be worth more money in thenear future, as the outlook for New Paltz was never brighter. Dan Shaw,Elting Harp, Real Estate Agents; D.G. Dayton, Auctioneer. [NPI 5/28/1919] Philip LeFevre Elting of Chicago purchased the stone Hasbrouck house for$4,000 and presented it to the community for use as a library with the provisothat it be called Elting Memorial Library. Two additions in 1956 and 1978.
According to the New Paltz Independent of May 11, 1883 a library was inexistence in the town as early as 1823, and was located in the home of DanielDuBois on Huguenot Street. When the Academy opened in 1833, the librarywas moved to that building. The next reference made to a public library wasin the late 1890s when the young women of the Christian Temperance Unionstarted a reading room believed to have been located in the Flatiron Building.
For a short time in the early 1900s, the Ladies Aid Society of the ReformedChurch operated a “public library” in the church parlors. In 1909 the NewPaltz Study Club initiated the first organized community effort to provide apublic library. The club appointed a committee to formulate a plan foropening a reading room “with the expectation that the public seeing its value Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey would make it a permanent institution.” A reading room located in theGeorge Schoonmaker building on the south side of Main Street opened inFebruary 1909. Only one month later the provisional charter was granted andthe reading room became officially the New Paltz Free Library. In 1920 thelibrary moved to its present location. [Martin 227] State took over New Paltz-Highland Turnpike, paved with concrete.
No houses erected in the village this year [NPI 10/13/1921] 62 houses built between 1920 and 1925 [notebook] Catholic parish house built on [106-108] Main Street. (Demolished) Model House Open for Inspection. The house on [15 S.] Oakwood Terracebuilt by the New Paltz Lumber Co., and purchased by Iver Miller has beencompleted and will be open for inspection Friday afternoon and Saturday. Itcontains a number of features which Mr. Miller found in vogue in localities inthe North West which he visited last winter but which are unique here.
Perhaps the most ingenious is the natural cool air refrigerator especially foruse in fall and winter. But the tile sink arrangement of bath room, the oakfloors and many other features will be interesting to those contemplatingbuilding. The earth for filling in is being loaded by a gas shovel and is takenfrom the roadway leading to the new lots which are being opened by the NewPaltz Lumber Company. [NPI 6/20/1929] Rural district schools consolidated into central school district New Methodist Church built. First design (1926) by Rev. Elbert M. Conover,Director of the Denominational Bureau of Architecture. Teller & Halversonsubmit design for church with stone exterior in 1927. Plans revised foreconomy in 1928 and existing church dedicated in 1929. Henry Hasbrouckbuilder.
New Paltz Central High School built on S. Manheim Blvd. Teller &Halverson, architects; W.W. Kingston Co., Poughkeepsie, general contractor.
15 classrooms, principal’s suite, teachers room, health room,gymnasium/auditorium with stage, locker and shower rooms.(8/15/1930) Lawrence H. van den Berg School of Practice opened for elementary grades Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey O’Brien Model Home on Grove St. Displays Many Attractions. If you would“live happily afterwards” you should have a beautiful home, convenientlyarranged, equipped with electric labor saving devices, and well selectedfurniture and draperies. It is not necessary to go to New York or a Chicagofair to get the latest ideas or see a model home. The Stephen O’Brien homeon [8] Grove Street is an excellent example of what can be done with an olddwelling house… As one New Paltz man who has done considerable building and wasacquainted with the house before Mr. O’Brien began work on it remarked“You would think a magic wand had been waved over the place. What wasrepellingly plain and unattractive has become a picture place – the bestarranged interior I have ever seen.”… Some of the attractive features are aglowing fireplace of red brick, smooth polished hardwood floors, artisticwinding stairway, cozy breakfast nook, built-in cabinets; bathroom with bothtub and shower, porcelain tile walls and rubber floor, linen closet andmedicine cabinet. This house is furnished with the 1st word in every sort ofelectrical equipment… Mr. O’Brien will be glad to tell you just what it would cost to reproduce [thefeatures in the model house]… He will also be equally glad to explain allabout the National Housing Administration Loans… [NPI 1/18/1935;sponsored by the New Paltz Better Housing Campaign] Route 32 paved with concrete from New Paltz north to Kingston and south toIreland Corners.
Huguenot Bank building built at Plattekill & Main streets.
Post office moved to Pappas Building on Main street.
Stanley Hasbrouck has built around 108 houses in New Paltz [NPI 9/15/1935] WPA allocated $26,948 to landscape Hasbrouck Memorial Park; project callsfor construction of a football and baseball field and two tennis courts.
Orchard Terrace at Elting’s Corners has sold to Father Divine (11/14/1936) Creamery opened at Jewett farm, Huguenot Street Board of Trustees approved project to improve Hasbrouck Ave under WPA Resolution adopted to connect village water main with the New York CityWater Supply immediately.
Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Four year curriculum instituted at Normal School The building of new homes in our village has been very active according tobuilder Alex Gronman. Approximately 16 homes have been built during thepast three years.
Hasbrouck Avenue is now open for traffic. WPA labor has been used for theentire project and it is now one of the most attractive streets in New Paltz.
Old iron bridge across Wallkill condemned; steel and stone bridge would bemost fitting for a village which prides itself on its stone structures, bothancient and modern Lovers of New Paltz who had set their hearts on having a stone bridge replacethe old iron one across the Wallkill, found out from the town board that it wastoo expensive and impractical. The Wallkill is too wide for a stone bridgewithout a supporting pier midway, and that pier would obstruct free passageof ice in winter months. (5/18/39) New Paltz Diner under management of Jack and Harvey, advertises “Dinnerfor 50 cents” The new bridge across the Wallkill will soon be open to traffic The following roads were accepted by the Board for the Town of New Paltzfrom the Storrs Realty Co.: Manheim Blvd., Millrock Rd., Oakwood Terr.
extending north from the village limits to and including Ulster Rd.; Fulton Rd.
& Ulster Rd. from Manheim Blvd. to Oakwood Terr.
Normal School name changed to The State Teachers College at New Paltz;bachelor degree awarded for first time. Graduate study in educationauthorized in 1947.
The new Municipal building will be dedicated on July 4. Mayor Robert Reidwill lay the cornerstone The old ice house on Jewett’s Pond went up in an early morning blazeyesterday. $5000 damage. (11/19/42) Tamney House, corner of Main & Plattekill, demolished (4/26/1945) College at New Paltz incorporated into newly established State University ofNew York with 30 other institutions. College Union and dormitory Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey constructed in 1950, library in 1953. “In the succeeding two decades thecampus grew steadily to reach its present size and scope and dimensions. Thestudent body has expanded from about 770 in 1950 to almost ten times thatnumber at the present time (1983) [Martin, 233-234] Releasing land for the new town highway extending west from Plutarch Rd tothe house of Michael Amato Village Board voted to purchase the Coe lot on Plattekill Ave for the purposeof building a new fire house. The lot measures 2.7 acres and purchase price is$5,000.
Bid of Stanley Hasbrouck to build new fire house and village hall accepted Population: Town 3,749, Village 2,285 (includes students) According to the recent census, New Paltz has had the largest growth of anytownship in the county, both percentagewise and numerically. A total of3,731 persons were reported in this town, compared with 2,815 reported 10years ago. This is a gain of 916 persons or more than 32%. The Village ofNew Paltz has a population of 2,284. [NPI 7/13/50] Dr. and Mrs. O. Lincoln Igou are building a new home on [43] NorthManheim Blvd. James Nelson is doing the work. [NPI 11/12/1951] Thehome of the Igous is a brick veneer, built on a concrete slab in 1951, isoriented to the south for maximum solar heat. Roof overhang excludes thedirect summer sun. Glass, large sliding panels, repeated textures of ceilingsand walls, help to unify the indoor-outdoor relationship. Lawn, garden, aspengrove, and location of the house in a far corner of the square plot add a furtherfeeling of freedom in space. Henry F. Miller, New Haven, was the architect.
[NPI 4/9/1958] New Paltz Central School enlarged with addition of elementary school wing.
Reisner & Urbahn, NYC architect; est. cost $1,649,800. 17 new classroomsincluding 2 kindergartens and 1 special classroom, gymnasium/auditorium,cafeteria, 2 science rooms, library and study hall.
Schneider Bros. Buy Tract of Land. Schneider Bros. local contractors andbuilders, have purchased from Leonard Wood a tract of land in the village ofNew Paltz, on both sides of Harrington St. and extending from John Street tothe corporation line. They will open up Harrington St. and make this sectionavailable for the building of homes. Under terms of an agreement betweenMr. and Mrs. Enlund and Mr. Wood, land has been made available to extendFulton Road easterly from Manheim Blvd. to and beyond Harrington St,. and Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey this road will be opened up. In cooperation with Village officials theextension of water and sewer lines is under consideration. Richard Lentrepresented Schneider Bros. and Harp and Hafke represented the Enlunds andMr. Wood. The transaction was brought about by the Alex. H. CuthbertAgency. [NPI 5/13/1954] Our Growing Community – Among those responsible for the growth of ourcommunity includes Mr. John H. Hasbrouck, who was a contractor back in the1880’s, building many of the fine big brick buildings on Main Street. His son,Henry L. Hasbrouck, followed in his footsteps building many of the fine, largehomes that were in style in the early 1900’s and which tower so tall and proudover the homes of today.
From this excellent background of contracting, Stanley Hasbrouck wouldmost naturally fall into line. Starting as a foreman for his dad, Henry L.
Hasbrouck, in 1926, Stanley supervised forty men, building homes in andaround New Paltz. In 1928 Stanley started on his own and his first contract inNew Paltz was the home of Mr. Louis D. LeFevre on [127] Main Street,formerly the Mr. Addison Pease residence. Since then, Mr. Hasbrouck sayshe will give the approximate number of 350 homes of all styles that he hasbuilt. As an example of how things have changed, he built twenty-eighthomes in Poughkeepsie; three bedrooms, kitchen, living room, bath, fireplaceand hot water heat. These homes were all plastered and sold for $4,200. Alsoin Poughkeepsie he built a combination home and office for Dr. Meters onHooker Ave. For Charles Cooke he built sixty homes in Poughkeepsie as wellas a few gas stations….
Stanley has remodeled, along with Mr. Myron S. Teller, a number of OldColony homes in Hurley, Kingston and New Paltz. Among those in Kingstonis the Old Hasbrouck House. In New Paltz there is the Rev. John Follette’shome on Huguenot Street. Many homes on Plattekill Ave., Prospect St., JohnSt., Millrock Rd., and Manheim Blvd. were built by Mr. Hasbrouck, and at thetime, he had to install the water and sewer lines. His latest prospects are: the“Hasbrouck Development” formerly the property of Jay LeFevre. He builtfourteen homes of all styles, put in three new streets: Orchard Lane,Hasbrouck Place and the extension of Plattekill Ave. All streets are paced,curbed with side walk allowing for proper drainage.
His latest development, which is rapidly taking shape, is the “Cherry HillTract” which consists of 28 lots, formerly owned by Charles Savago, andlocated east of the high school. In this section Mr. Hasbrouck has four streetswhich are to be paved, village water is already in, along with two firehydrants. Side walks are laid along with curbing. The plans have beenapproved. Full building will start in the spring and all property will beapproved for FHA or GI Loans. Mr. Badami, owner of the property adjoiningCherry Hill, is planning to build a road from there to Joalyn Road, which will Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey open many more excellent building lots to the home builder, adding to thebiggest building boom in the history of New Paltz. The outlook for thecommunity is good, so don’t go west young man, just look around you andwait. [NPI 11/18/1954] Harrington Street Homes Near Completion. The Harrington Street Homeshave attracted some nice new neighbors to New Paltz. Some of the folks areold friends. Mr. and Mrs. Leon Karpel, of the college library, have been withus for some time. Others have been living in areas quite apart from NewPaltz. Mr. and Mrs. Mazur come from Mt. Kisco. Mr. and Mrs. DonaldGross, formerly lived in New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Jack Glynn are movingfrom Long Island. The George Smiths come from Milton. Mr. and Mrs. BudSilverman are fairly close – in Gardiner. Mr. Glynn and Mr. Silverman aresales executives. Mr. Smith is a supervisory engineer. For the most part,however, the community is educational or literary in nature. Mrs. SelmaKahn, Mr. Mazur and Mr. Kaelin are teachers, while Mr. Karpel is assistantcollege librarian and Mr. Gross is the writer for Time Magazine.
Tremendous interest has been expressed in these National Homes, since this isthe first sizeable development in the area to be built of prefabricated homes.
The folks who have already purchased these homes have been impressed bytheir informal charm and liveability. They especially liked the proximity tothe new million dollar school and the rural feeling of the homes despite theirlocation in the village.
The benefits of mass production and superior architectural and engineeringskill have not resulted in “row housing,” since each house is individual inappearance due to variations in lot placement, exterior design and colortreatment. The houses are also easy to own since the builder, Mr. MurrayRotwein, has arranged for excellent financing arrangements in terms of lowdown payments and maximum mortgage periods. All requirements of FHAand VA have been met to permit such favorable financing. It is understoodthat the individual plots (100 x 150) will be landscaped and seeded inaccordance with FHA and VA requirements. There are a few choice threebedroom houses still available. Mr. Al Weisz is exclusive sales agent. [NPI7/28/1955] In 1955 the large 28 bedroom Sunset Inn on the southwest corner of MainStreet and Manheim Boulevard was razed to make way for New Paltz’s first“uptown” shopping center. Since then at least six other shopping centers haveappeared along Main Street and Route 299 East. [Martin, 216] Many Housing Developments; Building Boom In New Paltz Exceeds AllExpectations. There are a number of housing projects in New Paltz. Wm.
Hassel who has just completed a housing project to the north of the village,will very soon commence putting up houses to the south. Stanley Hasbrouck Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey and Schneider Brothers have housing developments east of the village. HenrySchulte and sons have built a number of houses and are busy all the time.
C.A. Jennings is building houses along the Kingston Road. Charles Nielsonand son also are numbered among the builders. Henry Edebohls of Gardinerhas built a number of houses in New Paltz.
Rumor has it that the Bruckmayer property is also to be used for a housingproject and again Dame Rumor says that Mrs. Elsie Gregor has sold her farmto the Wolverine Construction Company who will start building cottages inthe very near future. Usually houses are sold as soon as they are completed.
Sometimes they are sold before they are built. There are no doubt many morebuilders whose names are not known or as is sometimes the case, who do notcare to be publicized. The Independent would be happy to have the names ofany other contractors and information about their work.
It had been expected that there would be a building boom in the area this yeardue to the Clover leaf on the Thruway at Ohioville and the expansion of theI.B.M. Plants in Kingston and Poughkeepsie, but the extent of the buildingprogram has surpassed everyone expectation.
Louis Pucino has sold his nephews, Louis Pucino and William Pucino ofBeacon, his farm which is adjacent to Harmony Inn just off Route 32 twomiles north of New Paltz. The new owners are laying out the building lotsand planning for two or three streets. As soon as this work is finished, actualconstruction of homes will begin in about four months. The newdevelopment, which is known as Paradise Acres, will ultimately providehomes for from eighty to ninety families. It is about twelve miles fromKingston and has an unobstructed view of the Shawangunk Mountains. Plots,which may be acquired by deposit and held by persons now renting until suchtime as they are ready to build a home will be restricted to [lots] 100 by 125 or13 feet in size and the owners will either sell the lots or act as generalcontractors for building homes. Homes will be restricted to the $12,000 to$18,500 class. A distance of sixty feet between houses will be maintained andsome of the lots are located in an apple orchard with apple trees remaining onthe premises. Plans call for future dredging of a pond on the premises whichwill provide wimming facilities for the residents of Paradise Acres. There isbus service and the village of New Paltz provides excellent school facilities.
Lots will be in the $700 to $1,00 bracket it was stated.
[Independent 8/18/1955] Post office built on 23 N. Chestnut Street. W. Grant Hague, architect.
High school enlarged to accommodate elementary grades for district.
Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey Regular freight service discontinued on WVRR; station closed. Conrailcontinued to make runs two or three times a week w/ stops at yards of A.P.
LeFevre & Son and New Paltz Lumber Co. as late as 1977.
College Motor Inn opened at Thruway 6/3/1959. Largest in Hudson Valley Population: Town 5,841, Village 3,041 (includes students) Riverside Hotel demolished and Huguenot Motel constructed. 26 rooms(9/7/1960) Old Dutch Apartments, Church Street, formerly property of Helen Hasbrouck.
Hudson Valley’s first Gold Medal Electric Apartments. Vanderlyn Pine,president of corporation building apartments. (4/25/1962) Two morebuildings constructed in 1967.
Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall built, Rt. 32 North.
Church of the Nazarine built on Route 32 North Stanley Hasbrouck Sr. has been awarded the contract to build three apartmentbuildings on Huguenot Street (site of old Normal School) for architecture firmof Reisner & Diamond.
Weathervane Apartments built by Dominick and Roger Sfregola. Old publicschool demolished, weathervane saved and mounted on new building.
Schneider Brothers, general contractors St. Joseph’s Catholic Church built. Church built in 1893 razed for parking lot(now community hall) Redeemer Lutheran Church built on Route 32 South.
College Park Garden Apartments, Main Street.
University Apartments, 92 unit garden apartment, John & Harrington streets ;Robert Stein, NYC developer.
New high school built; old high school became middle school.
Population: Town 10,415, Village 6,058 (includes students) Village of New Paltz Reconnaissance-Level Survey


Microsoft word - afrique du sud j.p. paul.doc

AFRIQUE DU SUD Kruger National Park & environs du Cap Jean-Philippe PAUL Participants : Jean DAVID, Thomas DEFORET, Loïc FAUCOUP, Frédéric MAILLOT et Jean-Philippe PAUL. Informations en vrac______________________________________________ . Pour un français, le passeport doit être valide 6 mois après la date du retour mais j’ai réussi à passer avec un passeport valide se

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN READ SAFETY DIRECTIONS BEFORE OPENING OR USING Brazen® NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE Active Constituent: 200g/L Glufosinate-ammonium HERBICIDE For non-residual control of broadleaf and grass weeds in various situations as specified in the DIRECTIONS FOR USE table IMPORTANT: READ THE ATTACHED LEAFLET BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. Contents:

Copyright © 2012-2014 Medical Theses